Thursday, October 23, 2008

Rosh Hashanah by Rhea Lewin Geberer (wife)

Rosh Hashanah Thoughts

Being Jewish
at Rosh Hashanah
is so different
for a woman like me
part-Jew
part-American
Manhattan-West Side
sophisticate,

or so I think
of myself at times;
wearing cool jeans
in my 50s

self-conscious
know-it-all progressive,
ironed with touches feminine
and naive

In the month of Elul
wind and branch
seem the work of God

and I thank Him
and I add to my charity
and I try to be good
but no longer as a child does,

being differently conscious
of goodness and the knowledge
it brings to us

becoming a perceiver
of G-d’s presence.

Limited things,
the mouth’s sudden
bend, words
cheer me

small mitzvahs,
small donations
but many.

There are many people,
many widows
many orphans,

intellects asleep
on lumpy sidewalk --
for many nights --

my favorite cause
I would say, hovering
about them,
Such chutzpah--

I could be their
favorite charity;
no makeup, body-and-
soul-size questionable,
unclouded, I would speak
of a donation
to their pantry
or lunch, and

they in turn
would teach me
to be fearless,
their small donation.

In Rosh Hashanah,
all are
inscribed--
one brimming book.

No comments: